The Football Association of Wales (FAW) officially opened their new training and development facility at Colliers Park in Wrexham, on September 22nd.
Many of the principal stakeholders, who had worked together to ensure the facility was completed, were in attendance on the day. This was an excellent opportunity to celebrate a key component of the FAW development strategy.
The FAW name and constitution were originally agreed at a meeting in the Wynnstay Arms Hotel, in our village of Ruabon, in May 1876. In recognition of that historical event, five of our students were invited to deliver the opening address to the assembled dignitaries.
The students were introduced by Ian Gwyn Hughes, Head of Public Affairs for the FAW, and each student delivered a short address. Topics covered included the history of the FAW, participation in football, coaching and leadership, girls football, and health and wellbeing.
The students received a rapturous round of applause from the audience and captured the spirit and essence of the FAW development strategy.
Speaking after the ceremony, Mrs Melanie Ferron-Evans, Headteacher, said,
‘The school was delighted to be invited to the event and to be asked to deliver the opening address.
The students were excited to be part of such an important event. They demonstrated through their speeches how important football is in the lives of our young people in Wrexham and for future generations.
Ysgol Rhiwabon is very proud of its links to the heritage of Welsh football in the area and excited to be working with the FAW’’.
Read more here.
See more photos on our gallery site, here.